I’m a fan of having a moment of nice in an otherwise tough day. My moment of nice is usually a good espresso, that jolt only caffeine can give me that lasts a fleeting 10 minutes, if I’m lucky.
I’ve had a liberating thought. What if we reclaim our days, what if we add as many “10 nice minutes” as possible?
Here’s a list of the things we could do in 10 good minutes:
- Read (book nerd alert, always number one if my brain is not super fogged)
- Have a cup of tea or coffee and savour it
- A hot shower
- Lie down with a heatpack
- Lie down with a heatpack and a book
- Skype a dear friend or sister
- Eat a cupcake, or other deliciously good piece of food, savour it!
- Lie down with your legs up on a couch (yoga pose for calm)
- Watch half of a funny sitcom, or the whole thing and make it 20 good minutes!
- Sit in the sun
- Sit in the sun with a book
- Pray The Serenity Prayer with sincerity and meaning
- Read some good, inspiring blog posts that you’ve saved somewhere (like Pocket or Evernote)
- Give yourself a good foot rub
- Give yourself a good neck and shoulder massage with a heating cream
- Stretch, gently and mindfully
- Read a beautiful poem and just soak it up (I love Desiderata)
- Have a snuggle with your dog/cat/fluffy creature
- Have a snuggle with your baby, if you have one and they let you!
- Some form of intimacy with your significant other (hug, kiss, nookie – hopefully that’s more than 10 minutes)
- Breath, deeply and mindfully
- Make your art (journal, write, colour, draw, imagine…)
- Write a “thankful list” for future reference
As you can see, for me, a lot of things revolve around reading, but that’s because it’s a big passion of mine.
Do you have more to add to the list?